If they have compelling reasons, students can apply for a part-time study. Examples would be:
maternity or paternity leave
care of family members
occupation / if students are employed
care and education of a child until 10 years old
office at the academy or study body
other serious reasons
The application for a half-time study must be signed by the faculty coordinator and submitted to the office of student affairs (Referat Studienangelegenheiten) before the re-registration deadline (Rückmeldefrist), by the beginning of the semester (April 1st/ Oct 1st) at the lates. In addition to the application, you must submit a relevant proof for the reason that you have given.
Students with visa/residence permit for study purposes (§16 AufenthG) can't apply for part-time studies.
Extract from the general and examination regulations of the Kunsthochschule Berlin Weißensee
§ 19 Part-time studies
(1) If there is an entitlement to part-time study in accordance with § 22 (4) BerlHG, the respective representative for examination matters in accordance with § 26 (3) will develop an individual study plan together with the student concerned upon request. The standard period of study is determined according to the study load envisaged in relation to a full-time study program.
(2) The application to study part-time is generally to be submitted in writing before the beginning of the semester, stating reasons. If the student has not specified a shorter duration in the application or when re-registering, the studies will be carried out in part-time form as long as the requirements according to § 22 (4) sentence 2 BerlHG are met. The student must inform the university if the reasons for part-time studies no longer apply. The periods of study completed in part-time study will be credited to the standard period of study in accordance with the proportion of time spent on the regular study program.
(3) Part-time students have the same status at the Kunsthochschule Berlin Weißensee as full-time students. Fees and contributions are to be paid in full. The Kunsthochschule Berlin Weissensee assumes no responsibility or liability for the effects of part-time studies on areas outside of the university and on services used by non-university institutions.
M i t t e i l u n g s b l a t t No. 200
The Rector of the School of Arts
Berlin (Weissensee) January 31, 2013
Additions to it:
§ 22 para. 4 BerlHG
(4) Universities shall organise and set up study programmes in such a way that part-time study is possible.
Part-time study is permissible,
1. if students are working
2. for the care and education of a child up to the age of 10 years,
3. for the care of close relatives in need of care within the meaning of the Care Time Act,
4. if a disability makes part-time study necessary
5. during pregnancy,
6. during the performance of a mandate of an organ of the university, the student body or the Studentenwerk Berlin,
7. for other serious reasons.
As a rule, the application to study part-time must be submitted before the beginning of the semester. Unless the student has specified a shorter duration in the application or when re-registering, the study program shall be conducted in part-time form as long as the requirements according to sentence 2 are met. The student must inform the university if the reasons for part-time study no longer apply. The periods of study completed in part-time study shall be credited to the standard period of study in accordance with the proportion of time spent on the regular study program.
(5) The universities shall establish part-time study programs that enable students to study alongside their profession. In the case of part-time courses of study, the standard period of study shall be determined in accordance with the proportion of time spent on the regular course of study as compared to a full-time course of study.
General student advisory service
Room A 1.03
Open consultation hours: only by appointment
by telephone: Tue 14-16 h, Wed 10-12 h - Tel: (030) 47705 - 342
in writing via e-mail: studienberatung(at)kh-berlin.de
Raum A 1.09
Offene Sprechstunde: Di 11-13 Uhr, Do 14-17 Uhr und nach Vereinbarung
telefonisch: Di 14-16 Uhr, Mi 10-12 Uhr - Tel: (030) 47705 - 342
schriftlich via E-Mail: studienberatung(at)kh-berlin.de